Menstrual Health & Awareness Day (Happy Period's Day)
Event start date: 05/02/2020
Time : 06:30 PM Onwards
Celebrating Menstrual Hygiene and Awareness Day 2020 as Happy Periods Day!
WHAT IS MENSTRUAL HEALTH & AWARENESS DAY?
- Menstrual Health and Awareness Day (MHAD) was first celebrated and marked in India on 5th February 2019.
- The day was commemorated first time in the form of a unique period themed festival called the ‘Period Fest’ and a one of its kind rally called the ‘Pad-Yatra’ which saw partic- ipation from 6,000 people in Delhi that included students, teachers , youth and others.
- The purpose behind this mass event and the day was to create awareness, sensitization and knowledge on menstruation.
WHY 5TH FEBRUARY?
- The day is inspired by the Menstrual process as the average period cycle is of 28 days which simulates with the 28 days of February and 5 is the average number of bleeding days in a period that is denoted by the date 5th, this similarity made this day interesting as well as logical.
- There are some more reasons to celebrate Menstrual Health and Awareness Day espe- cially marked on 5th February as this day provides favourable conditions for mass action/ awareness events:
- Since the weather in most of India is pleasant for outdoor campaigns.
- Due to absence of holidays and examinations, school/college students can comfort-
- ably become a part of MHAD campaigns.
- Menstrual Health and Awareness Day will help centralize the efforts of various organi- zations to:
- Reduce silence and stigma around menstrual health and hygiene.
- Create sensitization and knowledge on the process of menstruation.
- Create awareness about the normal, abnormal and alarming aspects of menstrual health.
- Facilitate access to safe and hygienic menstrual management products.
CELEBRATING MENSTRUAL HYGIENE AND AWARENESS DAY 2020 AS HAPPY PERIODS DAY!
LET’S PUSH THE STIGMA AWAY.
- Periods in most parts of our country are often associated with shame, girls are often told by their mothers and sisters to hide their periods. This leaves a significant impact on their psyche and the shame and silence often gets translated into low self-confidence and low self-esteem in them.
- So that this shame can be replaced with a sense of pride and every woman and girl can celebrate herself, various groups such as schools, colleges, NGOs and brands working on MHM may celebrate Happy Period Day this year on Menstrual Hygiene Day on 5th February 2020 - #Haapy Periods Day
SIGNIFICANCE OF CELEBRATING MENSTRUAL HEALTH AND AWARENESS DAY:
- India is a country of diversity and often menstrual myths are grounded in religious be- liefs. These beliefs are hence held closely by people and followed as well. However, these myths prohibit girls and women from managing their period in a healthy manner. Therefore, it is important to break this cycle of myths and taboos. Celebrating such a day will help normalize the conversations around Menstruation and will consequently help eradicate these stigmas from the society.
Leave A Reply